Thursday, November 12, 2009

Let The Mystery Be -- Iris DeMent

This is a repost. I was going thru my post archives today and this one reminded me of a few things that might be relevant in today's hectic world.
JD

I find myself taking a similar position to the one described in Iris DeMent's lyrics of this song, "Let The Mystery Be." As a youth I was a pretty religious fella and was kind of strong on 'right and wrong' as taught by my parents and the Southern Baptist Church on Washington Street in the Big Town of Savage. I believe that training provided me with a sturdy base of good behavior that got me through my teenage and young adult years.

Seems the older I got the more questions arose that weren't answerable by simply using right or wrong, or that when you die you're either going to heaven or hell. Life's simpler for many people if issues are only two-sided, they take their position and either stand on one side or the other.

Seems to me that there's a whole lot of space in the middle for flexibility and discussion. I find this true for most subjects that we deal with in the world today. Give life a little space and see where it goes. I think I'll just adopt the position to "Let The Mystery Be" until there's more concrete proof that the mystery has answers.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about here, don't worry. I'm not sure I know myself. Click the ol' 'go' button on this video, enjoy the music and listen closely to the lyrics; then possibly you'll also agree to "Let The Mystery Be."

JD

2 comments:

Susan Spencer said...

You turned me on to this song a few months back and it is hands down my favorite Iris song. Also, in this video I like the way she crinkles her nose when she says "sweet pea". So cute...

BToS JD said...

Crinkle got me too...