Monday, November 16, 2009

Stomach Stretch - Eat Too Much - Update 23

This Stomach Stretch report is really a tale of two weeks. The first week was one of a 4 pound weight loss and the second a 4 pound weight gain.

During the first week, I had some kind of stomach problem where I couldn't really eat very much due to the associated requirement to spend added time in the 'reading room' with my current book 'Obamaland'. The next Monday weigh in showed me at 231 pounds, a 4 pound drop from the previous Monday. I had averaged just under 1600 calories per day for the entire week. I knew that weight would come back on quickly if I indulged the following week.

My good cardio doctor doesn't have me on too many meds, but he has prescribed a daily diuretic med to reduce the tendency of my ankles to swell. I first started taking this med when I weighed in the 260 range a few years ago. I'm the type person that doesn't want to take any more meds than necessary and have used this as part of my incentive to lose body weight.

Last Monday morning, after weighing 231, I made a conscious decision to quit taking the diuretic med, knowing my body would retain added fluid (water weighs approximately 8 pounds/gallon); thus increasing my weight. But what better time to perform this test than when I have just had a slight reduction from illness and reduced intake the previous week. In the past I have tested my weight without the diuretic for a few days and usually gained about 5 pounds, which have come off within 3 or 4 days after going back on the diuretic med.

As you can see in the chart, my weight did indeed increase by about a pound per day, then stabilized and has leveled off at 235, the same weight I was at for the previous report. So while my weight shows on the chart as constant over the two week period, it really has fluctuated due to body conditions. I can also relate that my ankles, while not as thin as with the diuretic, are not swollen either. That's the up side of the 'cease diuretic deal'. I will continue to abstain from taking that med as long as I control my weight and show no swelling.

My calorie intake for the last week was approximately 1950 calories per day. I can blame none of that on my son-in-law, as he was not staying with me over that two week period. However, he will be staying with me over the next two weeks up until Thanksgiving.

Looking back over my food intake spreadsheet for the past week, I see things like breakfast at Bob Evans, cold cut sub, steak sub, pizza, home made vegetable beef soup and blueberry muffins for breakfast. So I've eaten well which obviously has contributed to the weight returning, along with the body fluid increase.

As I mentioned, Thanksgiving is on the docket for next Thursday. My sole responsibility for that is to make 'Kings Arms Sweet Potato Pie', a sweet potato casserole made from a Williamsburg recipe my ol' buddy Gene put me on to quite a few years back, that's always fun to make, and eat. Oops, almost forgot I also make a gallon of Cousin Betty's southern style 'sweet tea' for Thanksgiving dinner.

A true test for me looms over the next two months of holidays. As you are aware, it's entirely toooooooooooooo easy to indulge in sweets during this period. I intend to come out of this holiday period a bit lighter than when entering. I won't set a goal weight, just to continue my long term weight loss program.

So that's my calorie and med report for today and all I have until my next report around Nov 30, the Monday following Thanksgiving. Should be an exciting report after Thanksgiving and having son-in-law to share the calorie intake blame. :-)

JD

PS - Enjoy Thanksgiving and think about me attempting to control my treat intake. :-)

PPS - I'm also going to stabilize my Stomach Stretch report interval at 2 weeks, so there should be a report every other Monday morning. The bi-monthly deal wasn't looking too good as the reports wouldn't be consistent as they are with the Monday schedule.

No comments: