Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big Town of Savage not necessarily good location


I live in what I describe as central Maryland. Living here is great when it comes to having access to the best of all worlds. We have excellent medical facilities and doctors. We have what are normally excellent roads that lead to very fine shopping areas and the people living in this area are almost all universally nice folks.

Our weather is typically moderate, no temperature extremes, we're not in tornado alley, snows are normally moderate; basically the weather's nice. Local governments for the most part service the citizens and while they typically get more money than they need, they always find a way to spend it. Average income around here is pretty high on the scale, primarily due to the proximity of many, many high-spending US Government agencies.

No, the BToS is a fine place to live. The biggest negative to this area is traffic congestion. Since it's such a fine place to reside, a lot of folks live here. All these folks have to work, do the school thing, shop and in general just drive places.

The BToS has Baltimore to the north, Annapolis to the east, Washington, DC to the south and Frederick to the west. Most travel on the east coast is north and south. Both Baltimore and Washington have circumferential highways, beltways. If I want to go north of Baltimore, I have to either go thru town or drive around the Baltimore beltway. Similarly when I want to go south of Washington, it's the same situation.

I've mentioned before how much I dislike 'beltways' and try to stay off of them. Well it's one of those times that I have to traverse a beltway to make a trip. Obviously, I don't want to travel the beltway during a rush hour and definitely do not want to run into construction delays. The ideal time to travel these roads is when everyone else is sleeping and off the road. Or you can travel them between the morning and evening rush hours and take your chances.

I have to go south of Washington and I'm pondering whether to 'go round' the beltway to Virginia...or I could take a detour and a more scenic route west thru Frederick and West Virginia, which adds about 50 miles and almost another hour to my trip in each direction. Since it's normally a 5.5 hour trip taking the direct route, it would become a 6.5 hour trip along the scenic route. But no beltway to traverse.

I'm pondering the question...either route could be a smooth, quiet ride, or laden with problem areas. I tend to be a scenic kinda guy that doesn't go inside beltways or use them, so I'll likely make it a longer trip and take the scenic route.

I'm pondering it,
JD

PS - This shows BToS in the middle of central Maryland

No comments: