Saturday, September 03, 2011

Listening to WHVR AM on the back road to PA

About a week ago I visited my daughter's home in Pennsylvania to tailor her computer to her preferences. They just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7. That's not a smooth transition for most computer users, I know it wasn't for me.

Most of us find a subset of system tools/capabilities that we use for our every day activities and seldom stray far from our preferred user paradigm. A change from Win XP to Win 7 is quite a jump considering it skips the intermediate generation operating system, Windows Vista.

The adjustments were relatively simple and included setting up backups, which we all need but seldom perform. Today's available external drives make life a lot simpler for temporary storage compared to 5 years ago.

The straight shot route to daughter's house from here in the Big Town of Savage is up I95, around the west side of the Baltimore Beltway and up I83 to the York, PA area. That route is around 80 miles and can be quite hectic depending on traffic in the Baltimore region, which generally is no fun.

A much more enjoyable trip for me is to take a more rural route via Rt 32 to Westminster, MD, on up to Glen Rock, PA and over to the York area. It's just a nice scenic drive and although it's a bit longer and takes an additional 35-40 minutes it's quite relaxing and offers a view of some beautiful farms, hilly open country and neat towns. Being retired with no set schedule, the added travel time is an enjoyable escape.

I also find it relaxing to listen to Real Country WHVR AM 1280, a local Hanover, PA radio station. Typically they seem to play a lot of traditional country, which I tend to enjoy much more than the more modern formulaic country music of today.

This day they played one I hadn't heard in a long, long time and it reminded me of just how much I used to enjoy the music of John Denver. The song was "Thank God I'm A Country Boy". That evening I looked for a youtube video and found this one. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when going through Lineboro, MD, which is right on the Mason-Dixon Line.

Not in the BToS this time, but from on the road,
JD


No comments: