Tuesday, February 10, 2015

GPS vs Maps - Saturday Morning Road Trip

As an old fart here in the Big Town of Savage, I seldom venture beyond my normal territory.  My son-in-law had a need to visit 7 properties in northern Virginia to take photos and note conditions.  He asked if I'd like to go along since I was more familiar with northern Virginia than he was.

It was a Saturday morning and I figured it would be a good chance for us to spend some time together and bond a bit.  After all, I've only known the boy for 15 years now.  I volunteered to be the tour guide.

Given we were on the road by 7 am, traffic was still relatively light around the 495 DC beltway and over into Northern VA.  I ignored the GPS until we got close to the first property then followed its direction thru Falls Church.  Trip to I95 and Woodbridge was straight forward and the GPS found the 5 properties there.  Then off to Manassas for the last property, also trouble free.

I used the GPS to get us back on to I66 and knew my way home from there, so turned the little gizmo off.  No glitches with the GPS except that when in Woodbridge I accidentally turned off the voice and had to keep eyes on it.  

It was my first extensive use of a GPS on any trip.  Typically I map out a trip on Google Maps and work from there.  I did similar this time to determine the most efficient order of visits to shorten the distance and time.  All worked well with mapping too.

Biggest thing I noticed was that in using the GPS so much I didn't actually feel like I was on a trip visiting locations and taking in the scenery.  My mind was always occupied.  I got home feeling like I had spent 4 hours working instead of enjoying a trip.

I guess I'm saying that taking a trip with a GPS talking to me isn't as much fun as not having it active.  I can see the benefit of a GPS, but with most of my trips being over terrain I'm already familiar with I doubt I'll be using it too much.  On the other hand, my son-in-law definitely needs one in his line of work.

JD, here in the BToS and hoping I don't need to use my GPS any time soon.

PS - I need to remind son-in-law to clean his windshield before we take another trip. 

No comments: