Sunday, May 10, 2009

NASCAR - Darlington Southern 500 - Sleepy Me...

I've been a NASCAR CUP Racin' fan for about as long as I can remember. It's probably only about 50 years, but it seems like forever, especially since in my old age my memory is a bit shorter than it used to be.

I have as much interest as ever in watching CUP races each weekend, however, modern technology, spelled TiVo (Digital Video Recorder, DVR), has made it possible for me to go to bed at a decent time (usually around 10-10:30 PM) and still view late night TV shows.

The Darlington nite race Saturday wasn't over until around midnight. By that time I had already clocked two hours of sleep. I was watching the race about 50 minutes behind the live telecast, in delay view mode, when I could no longer keep my eyes open (no, the race was not that boring). I shut 'er down and hit the sack. Man I was in deep-sleep mode and enjoying it just so much.

I awoke around 5 this morning and after the requisite old fart bathroom duties, I fixed a cup of iced tea and headed down to the HDTV viewing area to watch the end of the race. I started watching around 5:25 AM. For all I could tell it was live!

I zoomed commercials and finished watching the Darlington race with no interruptions (no, not even a bathroom break) around 7:40 AM; just in time to make a batch of Martha White breakfast muffins. Mark Martin came home in front in an exciting race, even for an old fart like me that slept thru most of it. :-)

If'n you ain't got a TiVo or other type DVR, you are missing what they call 'time shifting'; record all the shows you want to see and watch 'em when you have time...even if, as in my case, it's 5:25 AM Sunday morning.

This is JD in the BToS

PS - I intentionally stayed away from the internet before watching the end of the race. Last thing a fella wants is to know who wins before it actually happens. Mark Martin drove a smart race in a superb HMS car, got great decisions by his crew chief Alan Gustafson and had a bit of luck on his side while winning the Darlington Southern 500.

No comments: