Monday, May 18, 2009

Stomach Stretch - Eat Too Much

Didja ever go thru one of those periods where you seemingly eat everything you can get your hands on, and then eat even more? After doing that for a week or so, the next thing you know your belly is hanging over your belt forcing your jeans down even lower on your hips. (This isn't my belly; mine would be much worse.)
When I binge like that, everything tastes great and a second helping tastes even better, so I just kinda keep on eatin'. When I eat too much for an extended period my stomach expands so it can hold all the food I'm stuffing in there...I guess the expanded stomach is part of what's causing the ol' belly to hang out too.

I've been on an eating binge for the past week or two. My stomach must be stretched pretty good. My Sunday dinner was some left over Chinese food, a dish of hot shredded beef w/strips of carrot, celery and something green over rice. I had a full plate of it and woofed it down until the ol' plate was clean. That was about 7 PM, so I followed it up with a man-sized slice of pineapple upside down cake that was contributed by my ex-sister-in-law.

All those veggies don't really keep you satisfied and full for too long when your ol' stomach is stretched out. Evidently when your stretched stomach loses content it begins to contract, thus letting you know it wants more food; hence the hunger pangs. Your stomach keeps saying, "Feed me Seymour", like the character in 'Little Shop of Horrors'!

Come 2:57 AM this morning I awoke with hunger pangs. Try as I might, it was impossible to go back to sleep. At 3:45 AM I finally got outta bed and headed for the kitchen to prepare a middle-of-the-night snack. So I'm sitting here at the ol' keyboard after polishing off my biscuit w/blackberry jam and a large cup of iced tea. My hunger is satiated, at least until breakfast. I've already read the online newspapers and figured I may as well post an entry on my Thots from the BToS.

So here's my thot for this morning. It's about time for me to get serious about a reduction of my food intake. Being an old fart, excess calories go right to my belly and jowls, not the most attractive areas for the body to expand, and the added body mass isn't good for my health.

I just went and stripped down to my skivvies and got on the ol' scale. 255 lbs (I never knew skivvies could weigh so much). That's about 10 pounds more than my maintained weight of a year ago. So this confessional, combined with the evidence from the scale, has convinced me that I'm going to commit to reporting my ACTUAL weight each week.

We'll see how it goes. I'll report my progress or lack of progress Monday mornings.

JD

PS - Man that biscuit was good, wonder if I've got any left???

No comments: