Monday, June 22, 2009

NASCAR - Sonoma 350 - CUP Road Racin'






I was an SCCA road racing fan before I was really familiar with NASCAR, which was in it's infancy in the mid '50s. Altho I was too young to drive at the time, I could afford a magazine subscription to 'Sports Cars Illustrated', now known as 'Car and Driver' (I subscribe...only 1 more year). Their images and race descriptions were outstanding for a youngster like me. I couldn't wait for each month's issue and to visit a track to witness live SCCA racing.

NASCAR road racing is a whole different animal from its normal form. Cars actually turn right (most turns are right at Sonoma and Watkins Glen) and left! Cars have to be more evenly balanced to handle properly in a road course environment. Sonoma is just a wonderful area, based on my few visits, and is an interesting road course as configured for CUP racing.

Kasey Kahne was masterful yesterday. If you look at Kasey's earlier road racing finishes they don't look all that great, but when you review his actual driving performances on road courses, they've been considerably better. Like many CUP drivers on road courses, Kasey seemed to get tapped at the wrong time and spun out in previous races. No matter how well you run in a race, you've gotta bring the car home to finish well. Sunday Kasey did just that.

It was a popular win for a couple of reasons, Kasey Kahne and Richard Petty. Kasey is one of those drivers that almost everyone loves and feels good about when he's first to the checkered flag. Richard Petty is probably NASCAR's major icon. Having both in Victory Lane Sunday was superb.

As you've surmised, I truly enjoyed the race, even with the late start time. I was watching the finish of the race when I'm usually sitting back enjoying a flick on Sunday nite. But whatchagonnado; we all know that TV runs the world!!!

JD

PS - NASCAR only has two CUP road races each season. The second will be at Watkins Glen, a whole different venue in the Finger Lakes region of NY. Tree lined and beautiful contrasted with Sonoma's dry landscape loaded with grape vines.

No comments: