Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Imposed 72-hour wait for Congress?

As I've gotten older I've noticed that when making important decisions, it's good to step back for a period, withdraw from constant interaction with the problem and review the situation in a detached manner before signing on the dotted line.

This is true whether sitting in the showroom working with the car salesman who wants you to 'buy today', talking with the real estate lady about a new house, or talking to your wife about the soundness of a decision to try for another child.

Life is full of important decisions that require what I like to call 'pondering' time. I like to withdraw from the situation, think about other stuff, place the decision in proper context of my life and let it lie for a day or so before committing myself to anything important.

Watching the US House of Representatives go through the process of building a health care bill and more recently watching the US Senate go through a similar process, it appears to me that the responsible individuals immerse themselves in the process to such an extent that they don't really have time to place the resultant product in proper context before signing on the dotted line.

Wouldn't it be a natural thing for the House and Senate to have a required step back and ponder period of maybe 72 hours following creation of the final bill before they take a final vote on it? To have them take some time to place this new bill in the context of 'what it really is'...sometimes we get so wrapped up in 'what's happening' that we lose sight of what we're really trying to accomplish for ourselves, our family or, in the case of Congress, the United States.

Ponder it,
JD

PS - After I wrote this, I found this article by John Fund.

PPS - Doggone, my quick research shows that this idea has been around a long, long time and is just never implemented/enforced. Of course, the only way it will really work is if the Representatives and Senators actually consider it a good idea and not just another road block! Knowing those asses (my term; not an official US Government designation) the little bit that I do, I don't expect that to happen with my Maryland delegation of Barbara Mikulski, Ben Cardin and Elijah Cummings...why should I, they never seem to give too much thought to anything beyond what's good for the Democrat party and Democrat constituents. They aren't too concerned with folks like myself who pay the bills.

No comments: