Monday, January 18, 2010

No Snow in 10-day Forecast

Click picture for larger image and readable text.

I scanned this image from the local paper last week 'cause I wanted to keep it as a reminder of just how beautiful the ol' bridge can be at times. The 10-day forecast for the Big Town of Savage shows moderate temps and no snow. I'm not saying we won't get another big snow this winter, but this is a good reminder.

My recollections of the ol' train bridge go back to the days of my youth. I probably discovered it when I was in elementary school. As you can imagine, other than running thru the woods and playin' in the river, there wasn't a lot to do for entertainment here in the Big Town of Savage in the late '40s. Anything that provided excitement was fair game for us.

I recall the ol' B&O Railroad used to haul freight cars in and out of the Savage Mill back then and at times would leave a few parked on the bridge portion of the rail spur. We figured out just how exciting it could be to climb up on those ol' boxcars and look down the side, through the railroad ties and into the Little Patuxent River below.

I was so excited when I got home, that I made a mistake and told momma about the fun we had. She could be very strict at times, even with an only child like myself, and after swattin' my tail she told me to never do that again.

Well, I spent a lot of hours on the old bridge and even tried sittin' on the center bridge abutment and fishing in the river below, that didn't work for catching fish. But I never did climb up on a boxcar on the bridge again. I won't get into the story of catching a short ride on one when I was a bit older and spending some time with my rowdy cousins...

JD

PS - Here's my first excitement in the BToS. You'd have thot momma would be smackin' my daddy for puttin' me up there, wouldn't you?
PPS - For more pictures of the Bollman Iron Truss Bridge, just click this foto.

No comments: