Saturday, February 13, 2010

Super Bowl Gone - NASCAR Here - Finally

I have been so bored since the final CUP race of the 2009 season that took place at Homestead Miami Speedway just before Thanksgiving. That's about 12 weeks, almost 3 months without NASCAR CUP Racin'.

As an old fart here in the Big Town of Savage, I've grown apart from the NFL and most other professional stick and ball sports. The weekend after the Super Bowl each year is when the NASCAR season begins in earnest.

The Daytona 500 is this Sunday and I am definitely ready for it. I already have the TiVo set to record every racing activity on FOX, SPEED and ESPN this weekend. That includes the NASCAR Truck race Saturday nite (postponed from Friday nite due to rain), the NASCAR Nationwide (old Busch Grand National series) race Saturday afternoon and the Daytona 500 CUP race Sunday afternoon.

When I was younger, I loved going to the race track and doing a bit of tailgating before the races, but most of all, I enjoyed sitting in the stands with my cooler and food from home along with all the essentials necessary for 5 hours in the bright sun.

The most exciting part of any CUP race is the start. Fans are on their feet and filled with anticipation as those 43 cars inch along toward the flag stand, ready for the signal to start.

When the starter unfurls and waves that green flag the deafening roar and vibration that you feel from those 43 unmuffled, tuned exhaust engines is just unbelievably exciting. When they come by again at the end of the first lap, the sound is even louder as they zoom past.

I won't be in the stands at Daytona when the green flag falls at 1:19 PM Sunday, but I will be in place right here at home in the BToS with the HD TV tuned in for the excitin' rubbin' n racin' that starts off the twenty-ten NASCAR CUP racin' season!!!

Maybe you should too,
JD

No comments: