Saturday, February 27, 2010

WaterPik and Winter Water

Have you ever used a waterpik to clean your gums around your teeth? A waterpik uses a reservoir of water and an internal piston pump to build up pulsating water pressure in a line leading to a nozzle that you use as a pick. The high pressure water gets between the gum and tooth to clean out any left overs from your food.

I've been using one for about 4 years now on the advice of my Harley riding dentist, Roger Lewin in Laurel, about 3 miles from the BToS. Since using the waterpik I've had no gum infections and the structure in my jaw, gums and teeth has improved...at least doc says it has. All I know is that my mouth feels pretty good.

Normally I keep the waterpik in a bathroom that seldom gets used. I'll fill the reservoir with water, start the waterpik unit and get to work on my gums. When I walked into the bathroom this morning I decided to see if the toilet would still flush. It did and began filling the tank again.

After doing a couple of other small things, I filled the reservoir and began using the waterpik. Damn that water was COLD!!! My gums thot they had been put into the freezer. Then it occurred to me that when the tank filled on the toilet (this is an old toilet requiring much water to fill), it began drawing water from outside the house.

It is WINTER here in the BToS. Water from outside is really chilly this time of year and that chilly water was what I was using to excite my gums!!! I struggled thru the exercise and told myself that cold water was probably good for me too.

Normally, when I fill the waterpik reservoir it uses water that's been resting inside those ol' copper pipes down in my basement by the furnace. This produces nice, room-temp water that feels very good when it squirts out of the waterpik. This time the water in the pipes had just come in from outside the house in the middle of winter.

So there you go, that's my quick waterpik story for a Saturday.

Ponder a waterpik for your own gums,
JD

No comments: