Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Bagel w/Chicken Salad for Breakfast

My son-in-law has a long, approximately 95 mile, commute to work with a portion including a circumferential tour of the Baltimore beltway on the almost always congested west side. He occasionally spends a few nights a week here with me to save some fuel and time.

He's gotten into having bagel sandwiches as a breakfast. I try to keep items in the fridge that aid his bagel building, typically packages of cream cheese, sliced cheeses, lunch meats, etc. I don't usually pay much attention to his finished sandwich, which he usually eats while reading the morning paper on my living room coffee table.

But this morning was a new one, chicken salad bagel. Fortunately he's good at holding his packed bagel over the plate while biting to catch any sandwich debris. After he finished the bagel and the paper he looked up and complimented me on the chicken salad, "I believe this was the best chicken salad you've made."

I'm one of those guys that makes all sandwich salads pretty much the same way, whether it's tuna salad, chicken salad, turkey salad, etc. Mayo, mustard, pickle, onion, celery, celery seed, and appropriate seasonings (salt, pepper and Old Bay). In this case, the chicken I used was some leftover roasted chicken breast and some dark meat fried chicken, the fried chicken flavor complementing the relatively bland breast meat.

I will say that the chicken salad sandwich I had for lunch yesterday was indeed pretty good. Chicken salad ain't my favorite sandwich food, but it'll do in a pinch as long as it has some enhanced flavor to it. Guess son-in-law appreciated the enhanced flavor of this batch.

And that's today's HumpDay bagel report,
JD

No comments: