Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Bowl Weary


I've become worn out on the NFL and on the Super Bowl. I'll have to find another outlet for my time this evening as I will definitely not be watching the NFL Super Bowl.

What happened???

30-40 years ago I was as big a sports fan as anyone I knew and never missed a Redskins game or a playoff game. Like most, I would park in front of the TV and actually become excited as the game unfolded.

Have I been spoiled by the DVR (Digital Video Recorder) and the ease of skimming thru television programs? Yesterday I recorded a Maryland basketball game for the first time this season. I devoted every bit of 20 minutes to watching it last evening. I might watch the action between commercials making note of the score, then fast forward to the end of the 15 minute segment. Then watch a bit more. I probably devoted all of 20 minutes to the 2 hour TV show and watched maybe 30% of the actual game action.

Same happens with an NFL game. I can no more watch a whole game than I can watch an hour episode of Memphis Beat without skipping commercials. In the case of sports events, it matters little whether you watch the whole event or just check the score at various points of the game to get the flow and determine the eventual winner.

Why do I not have interest in sports today? Is it just because I'm an old fart and don't like to waste time on drivel (stuff in which I have no interest). I don't know the real answer, altho I did post some thots on the NFL a while back. The only sport I come close to watching live is NASCAR CUP racing. I do still have a strong interest in that competition.

So, what will I do tonite. Likely, I'll find a movie to watch and go to bed early so I can be well rested for Monday. You may or may not know that Monday thru Friday are days most retired folks look forward to. Everybody else heads out to work or school and from about 9 am till lunch time, things are relatively quiet on the roads and in the stores.

So this will just be a regular Sunday nite for this old fart from the BToS...

JD

PS - Maybe I'll record it and just watch the commercials!!!

PPS - NASCAR on track action at Daytona begins this Friday with the Bud Shootout Saturday evening followed by the Daytona 500 the next weekend on Sunday (Feb 20).

No comments: