Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Revisit - Bob Evans For Lunch


I visited Bob Evan's for lunch today. It's bad enough they removed the Belgian Waffle from the menu; but now you can't even get a ham and cheese sandwich on rye bread. No HAM on the menu.

Why do I even go back to Bob Evan's any way. If you don't want a salad, a burger or a chicken sandwich for lunch, you're outta luck. Neighbor lady had to settle for a bowl of hearty beef vegetable soup. Soup's good, but what about the ham sandwich!!!

What's the world coming to anyway, all sausages in the stores seem to be CHICKEN, not pork. The world is changing too fast and I can't keep up with it. Here's an excerpt from an earlier post:

"
My world is the same as it’s always been, nothing’s changed! It’s as if my world is encapsulated and riding along on a train that’s traveling from the city of my birth to the city of my death. I’m riding that train and have all my belongings and friends along with me and things are great, we’re having a ball.

My train has completed at least 80% of its journey and we seem to be riding through territory that becomes more alien with each passing mile. When I look out the train windows things look different; everything from swoopy vehicles and people not paying their bills to the local church running out of members and money and being taken over by alien religious groups. I can’t find any prime time TV shows that I like, all my favorite shows are over on some obscure cable channel and I’ve seen ‘em all before. I guess the TV antenna on my train just can’t get good reception of the new shows; they look kind of fuzzy and alien. Maybe it's the new digital TV deal, who knows!


The closer I get to my destination the more alien the outside world appears, nothing looks familiar. Most of the people are nice and accommodating, but many times I can't communicate with them and for some reason they just don’t understand me the first time I speak. We stopped at a train station once and I decided to get out and get a hamburger. I tried giving my order to the gal, but she wanted me to use a number off the menu board. I had to order a number 3 instead of asking for a burger, fries and coke. She didn't understand that lingo, but the number provided an accurate order. I wonder what she would have done if I hadn't wanted ketchup on the burger?


I become more and more irritated that the world outside my train is so unfamiliar. I find myself complaining to my friends all the time to the point where I'm sure they think I'm going crazy; “This just isn’t right, what happened? Why can’t I buy that green shirt like I had before? Why are these new utility vehicles so swoopy? Why didn’t the fast-food checker speak English?"


I don’t really know or understand this new country we’re passing through. I don’t know if my train will make it to my resting spot or not. I hope so, but somehow I need something to comfort me. I think I’ll go to my room, cover up and take a short nap. Maybe things’ll be better when I wake up."

So Bob Evans not having a ham and cheese sandwich available is just another example of the world changing so quickly that I can't keep up with it.

Struggling to get along on the old train here in the Big Town of Savage,
JD

No comments: