Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ron Smith - Lives on in our memories



I visited the WBAL website last nite just before going to bed around 11:30 and saw he'd died. I turned the radio on after getting into the bed and listened to others talk about Ron. I seldom, if ever, listen to radio while here on computer (too distracting), but I am listening to WBAL this morning as they discuss Ron's work and character.

I've really missed his weekday 9-12 AM presence for the past couple of months and his phone-in gigs to his Ron Smith Show just weren't the same. I have to acknowledge that my interest in politics has dropped significantly during that period. Ron provided me with much needed 'reason' after listening to Rush Limbaugh during the early 90's. I think Ron Smith was the guy that got me reviewing Libertarian doctrine. His comments just made so much sense and in many cases were opposite mainstream party politics of the day.

I support Ron Paul's basic doctrine and much of that is due to Ron Smith's influence. It 's natural that knowledge gained during the course of one's life forms the basis for late life decisions. Ron Smith's work on the radio has affected my later life political opinions and I certainly appreciate it.

JD, missing Ron here in the BToS

David Zurawik of the Baltimore Sun wrote an excellent review of Ron's life story which can be found at the York Daily Record.

PS - Yes, I am an AM radio kinda guy. From here in the BToS I can enjoy 630, 680, 980, 1090, 1280 and 1430. Younger readers likely have no idea what I'm talking about, but older folks like myself recall AM radio affectionately.

No comments: