Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Short Stop - Quick Go - 4 Way Stop


Didja ever run into one of those 4 way stop situations at a low traffic intersection, and a couple of other vehicles were apparently going to stop about the same time as you?

Are you the nice guy/gal that allows one of the other drivers to have the right of way and you go as your turn comes around. I tend to be that way. As you know from reading this blog I'm seldom in a hurry and I'm willing to yield when necessary.

About a year ago, I was in that situation at the intersection of Oakland Mills Rd and Guilford Rd a few miles from the BToS. I was coming down Oakland Mills from Columbia and there was a car coming on my right and another coming on my left. It appeared we were all going to stop at the same time and since they were both on Guilford road going in opposite directions I figured they'd take the right of way and I'd have to wait.

Then it occurred to me that if I stopped just short of the white line by maybe a half car length, I could stop before either. I did just that. I did a quick 'short stop' and then a quick startup before either of the other cars had completely stopped.

I beat the system and didn't have to wait. I've done it several times since and I must admit that each time I manage to make it happen I get a little grin. :-)

Still grinnin' here in the BToS,
JD

PS - If only I could beat those doggone red-light cameras as easy...

No comments: