Monday, March 31, 2014

What to Wear? - Not a Question For This Old Fart



When I was a young fellar, I was very aware of my attire; what I was wearing.  Even as I aged a bit and the kids grew into adulthood and I crept up into my 50s, I was still quite aware of what I was wearing.  Everybody wants to look decent in the office and when you go to meetings, etc.  It's just part of the work deal.

Then about 10 years ago I decided to retire and see what life was like in the outside world with no Monday thru Friday demands on my life beyond existing and having some fun doing odds n ends here and there.  During the 10 years since retiring, I seem to have gotten to the point where I don't think much about what I wear.

I wear the same clothes every day.  In winter, like now, it's jeans, a long-tail pocket T shirt, a long sleeve flannel shirt and pair of white athletic socks and a pair of walking shoes.  I only purchase clothes that will work with what I already have.  My pocket T shirts are primarily black or gray and fit with any color flannel shirt.  The jeans are kind of a stone washed deal, kinda light blue in color.  They tend to be a classic fit like I've worn since my youth.  I ain't much on 'relaxed' fit/baggy jeans.

In summer I hang the flannel shirts in the closet along with the jeans.  My outer summer wear is a pocket T shirt and cargo shorts with many pockets.  Shoes and socks are same as winter.  I have a couple of cotton, canvas light weight long sleeve shirts I wear in summer over the pocket T at times.

So I can almost close my eyes and pick things out of the closet and know they'll look OK together.  I don't really care what others think as long as I'm comfortable and don't have to give any thot to my attire.  I can mix and match almost everything and I'll look the same.

The only thing that really changes in my appearance is whether I lose the urge to shave and grow my beard for a couple of months.  I just shaved last Saturday, so look considerably different than the scruffy look I had a week ago.  :-)

JD, here in the Big Town of Savage and definitely not wondering what to wear tomorrow, April Fool's Day.

PS - I had Plumber's Butt under control when it counted at Salomon's Island in '04.

PPS - Here's a foto of Gene Monay and myself having some lunch at Gunnings back in 1999 when I was still working and he's enjoying retirement.  Believe Gene is having the fried soft crab sandwich and I'm having a rib steak sandwich.  Notice the casual attire.  :-)

No comments: