Monday, June 23, 2014

Where to Vote - Fire House is no more

This new fire station opened here in Savage in summer 2013.  It has all the amenities that fire stations of today have to have here in the county of Howard in Central Maryland.  It's located in the Savage jurisdiction, but is no longer in the center of Savage as the old one used to be.  I think that's a good thing as it's adjacent to main roads and a major intersection.  Plus I no longer get to hear the sirens every time they have a call.

This is the old fire station up on Lincoln Street that's been decommissioned with the property now under someone else's control.  It was a good ol' station since I was a youth.

The lower rear area of the fire station was used as a social hall and more importantly to me, it served as my voting location for all these years.  It was only a block up the hill from my house; a nice short walk.  Just a great place to vote and catch up with a few locals I don't regularly see.

My previous blog post indicated that I had taken advantage of the 'Early Voting' for the June 24, 2014 Primary here in Maryland.  I did that because of a schedule conflict for tomorrow, Primary Election day.  As I mentioned it was a pleasant experience, but not at all like the jaunt to the local fire house to vote.

The new Savage Fire Station evidently isn't going to be used as a voting location.  My new voting spot is at a school over on Gorman Rd, a couple of miles away.  As much as I need the exercise, I doubt I'll be walking to the new polling location.  I'll have to drive over there and muddle along with the rest of the folks over that way. 

And it ain't even in the Big Town of Savage!

JD, here in the BToS wondering what happened to the world I once knew.



No comments: