Friday, December 26, 2014

Family Adults - No gifting after 21


I have a 'NO GIFTING' arrangement with my three children.  I don't purchase gifts for them and they don't purchase gifts for me for holidays, birthdays, etc.  A card will suffice.

I'm an old fart and they're all in their 40's.  For a bunch of years they had no idea what to get for me and I had no idea what to get for them.  They all have good income and in today's society most people with good income can afford to purchase things they want or need. And, even tho I'm retired, my income is such that I typically purchase anything I need also. 

So gifting between us had gotten to the 'feel good' point and seemed unneeded to me.  So, after Christmas one year I told them I was implementing the no gifting policy beginning January 1 of the coming year.  At first I thought they might be a bit upset with my decision; they weren't.  After thinking about it, all thought it was a good idea.  It's worked well now for about 2 years and my life is much simpler around birthdays and holidays.

Beginning January 1, 2015, my oldest grandchild (he's 21) joins the no gifting situation also.  We'll see how it works out with him.

JD, resting up after an enjoyable Christmas here in the BToS

No comments: