Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Boring - Coca Cola 600; REALLY BORING INDY 500

I'm a NASCAR fan and have been since my youth, and I don't even remember being a youth. Monday's rain-shortened race was a 'just get it over with race'. Everyone was going thru the motions. When the participants aren't excited, racing isn't gonna be exciting. Monday races are invariably run in that vein.

The Coca Cola 600 at the Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte was only 227 laps, 340.5 miles. It was only slightly longer than those damn NASCAR 300s that are called 500s (kilometers) for publicity purposes. From my perspective, day-late races typically suck!

When NASCAR runs a delayed race on Monday you just know those drivers are in 'GET HOME QUICK' mode and are gonna avoid racing and potential accidents and freight train all the way to the last 100 laps. In the case of yesterday's race, they freight trained until the 150 lap mark, knowing that 200 was half way and the race would be official at that point if rained out (and rain was definitely coming strong).

The only thing less interesting than the Coca Cola 340.5 was the Indianapolis 500. Talk about a freight train. No one passes anyone there. They don't even race until the final segment. Were it not for the crashes, there would have been NO excitement. If you're not a dedicated fan, Indy Car racing isn't much. If it weren't for the Historic Indianapolis Motor Speedway venue, there would be no attraction to the event. Oops, I forgot about the milk sipping for the winner!!!

JD

PS - I know, I know, if you're a real INDY fan and understand the nuances of Indy Car racing, it was a wonderful race. The strategy required to be around for a win at the finish is really what counts and holding your position for the first 180 laps is a necessary price to pay for a chance at the win.

PPS - I tried my damndest to find a foto or two that would capture the essence of the weekend's racing and this is as close as I could come. I don't agree with the expressed sentiment of this image, but it certainly applied to Monday's Coke 340.5. If I could only have found one for the Indy race.

No comments: