Monday, August 24, 2009

Stomach Stretch - Eat Too Much - Update 13

How can Monday be here already...time for my update of the Stomach Stretch Report.
Since the scale read 240, showing a two pound loss this week, the ol' box turtle is looking in the 'right' direction.
As suggested in last week's report, I have made an attempt to be a bit more careful this week in my calorie control, mostly by skipping sweets. Although, sister-in-law did show up with some pineapple upside down cake one evening last week and as usual, it was delicious. Average daily calorie intake for this week was right on 1700, considerably lower than the 2000 I had been looking at in previous weeks. Maybe that has something to do with the change in the scale reading. Hopefully, it's not just empty bowels and loss of fluid. :-)

I also visited a couple of my favorite restaurants this week. Tuesday evening I visited the Sunset with my son and his friend Kelvin. In order to control the calories a bit, I chose the stuffed shrimp, a dish that's a bit like imperial crab over whole shrimp. The portion is considerable, but not rich in calories to the extent that the rib-eye steak or prime rib that I was eyeing would have been. If chosen properly, seafood can be sort of moderate for calories. Of course we skipped dessert, but the stuffed mushroom caps were a good appetizer to go with the Yuengling draft. And of course there was the Maryland crab soup.

Later in the week I visited the Macaroni Grill in Columbia with my younger daughter. I went for the grilled filet with potatoes and cherry tomatoes as a main course after the garden salad with their excellent balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

And of course the conversation both evenings was excellent; thus enhancing the whole experience!!!

On the home front, there were no outside influences on my food. Son-in-law is scheduled to be here three nights this upcoming week, so calorie control may be a bit more difficult. I may have to actually plan my menus in advance. :-)
Actually, Sunday I did make a batch of hot dog chili and a pot of southwest chili with some fresh corn, onions, mushrooms and a can of Margaret Holmes Hoppin' John to wake it up a bit. Tasted pretty good when I quit doctoring it up. :-)

I'll see if I can succeed in keeping my daily calorie count a bit lower again this week. While I don't want to rush things, it was somewhat euphoric seeing some progress after a couple of weeks stability. But who knows what kind of treats may emerge this week. I still have that half-full box of Haagen Daaz vanilla almond bars in the freezer!!!

JD

PS - If you want to see what's happened in the previous 13 reports:
Stomach Stretch Report Archives

No comments: