Thursday, February 03, 2011

Miracle Whip or Mayo

What is Miracle Whip (MW) and what is Mayonnaise (mayo). I have no idea, but I do know what each tastes like.

When it comes to sandwiches that need a spread on the bread, I usually prefer MW to mayo. I think MW on sandwiches provides a twangy (tangy) flavor that I don't get from mayo. I'm sure that I ill use the word 'twang' because I have no idea of its definition. Twang is a word I use to describe a taste that's kind of sweet and vinegary when compared to mayo. I also like a twang in my pulled-pork BBQ.

Mayo evidently has a lot of oil in it that MW doesn't have. In this respect mayo is good for sandwiches where the bread is exposed to moist ingredients, like a BLT. The juice from fresh tomatoes can soak into a slice of lite bread that's spread with MW; where the oil in a mayo spread will block much of the moisture; thus keeping the bread intact until you finish the sandwich.

MW is not at all good for salads and fresh made cold dishes that you plan to save for a meal tomorrow. Without the oil, the MW seems to break apart, thus killing the flavor and consistency of dishes kept in the fridge overnight. The same dish made with mayo holds up well in most cases. I normally add a combo of apple cider vinegar/sugar to get the MW twang flavor from mayo.

I'm a sandwich kinda guy and will go through a jar of Miracle Whip before a similar size jar of Mayonnaise is half empty. I almost never use mayo for a sandwich, but for things like cole slaw, broccoli salad, etc., it's preferable.

By the way, I just had a roast beef sandwich on rye with MW and lettuce for lunch. Just one more peculiarity of JD here in the BToS.

JD

PS - MW has less than half the calories of mayo...

No comments: