Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving - Light or Dark Meat


I gotta admit that when Thanksgiving comes around I go for the dark, flavorful turkey meat first.  I believe that at our family dinners over half the people go for the tasty dark meat instead of the less tasty breast meat.

Since I stopped eating the dressing  and seldom eat mashed potatoes, I have no real need for turkey gravy.  Dark meat is so flavorful that you can enjoy it without smothering it with gravy.  We also typically have sweet potatoes and the red sweet potatoes are delicious without any added flavor enhancers.  Ours are typically candied sweet potatoes or the King's Arms Tavern Sweet Potatoes that are absolutely delicious.
 Click for larger image

I've found over the years that the foods we eat are typically just the results of us being creatures of habit.  My granddaughter won't eat any food that has onions in it.  I have no idea where a 12 year-old girl got the idea that onions weren't good or tasty to eat.  My son-in-law has many items on his won't/don't eat list.

I can understand folks not liking the taste, appearance or consistency of certain food items, but to avoid foods just because somewhere along the way you decided to not like them makes little sense to me.  I'll admit that I'm not a fan of squash, but I wasn't exposed to them very much as a kid and haven't really warmed up to them since; though I have tried different squash dishes quite a few times over the years.

Yes, foods we eat are just the result of habit, just like most other things in our lives.  It's difficult to change old habits, especially for old folks like me.


JD, here in the BToS eating dark meat and trying to learn to like squash.

No comments: