Friday, April 19, 2013

Even Hard Frozen Waffles Taste Good - Maple Syrup

I seldom eat waffles and have a habit of picking up some el cheapo generic frozen waffles at the outlet store for Sysco.  I pop 'em in the toaster and have a couple with syrup when I don't feel like wasting time preparing food.  It's quick and easy and a hot water rinse with a little rub cleans the plate.

These waffles don't look anywhere as good as the ones in the foto above appear to be and they're certainly no where near the real waffles I used to make a long, long time ago here in the BToS. 

I toasted a couple one day last week, then realized I had no syrup for 'em.  I'd almost thrown them away when it dawned on me that I had a jar of Kirkland Natural Maple Syrup in my cupboard that I had planned to pass on to my granddaughter and it had never been opened.  The date on the jar was about 6 months past, but I've never been one to put too much stock in the ol' Sell By date unless it's on some kind of fresh meat. 

I popped the seal on that syrup and in my usual fashion went overboard with the syrup.  I don't pay much attention to syrup, sweet is sweet to me and "it's all good" as some folks tend to say today.  I gotta tellya that syrup was so doggone good that I didn't even notice the cheap dried up waffles I ate with it.  It was so good that after I finished I found myself putting the fork back on to the plate and licking it just to get a bit more of that great flavor.

I've made up my mind to only use natural maple syrup on my waffles and pancakes from now on.  As infrequently as I actually eat them, the added cost will be negligible...who knows, I may even buy some fresher, better quality waffles at the local grocery vice the outlet...or, I might even dig out the ol' waffle iron and make a fresh batch.  Heck if I have any left over, I can freeze the rascals and they'll probably be better than the bought ones anyway.

JD, high on Natural Maple Syrup here in The Big Town of Savage

No comments: