Wednesday, September 24, 2014

AMAZON - Maryland Sales Tax - Bummer

I don't know about you, but I'm an online shopper and I have to admit that probably 3/4 of my online purchases are from Amazon.  No shipping - No Sales Tax!!!  What's not to like if the price is right on your item(s).

Amazon is opening a distribution center here in central Maryland.  Businesses with facilities located in Maryland are required to collect Maryland's 6% sales tax on products.  Technically, they're supposed to collect the tax even if not physically located in Maryland.  So Amazon will become a good citizen of Maryland and charge tax on my online purchases.

"No Shipping - No Sales Tax" is what initially drew me to online shopping.  What's a few days wait for most items you buy.  It either shows up at the front door or down at the local Post Office here in the BToS.  Since I visit the PO every day they're open to pick up my mail, it's simple to also pick up a product in shipping container.

There are still many online vendors that do not collect Maryland sales tax.  I'm sure I won't completely desert Amazon, but I will spend a bit more time on Google reviewing my purchase options.

JD, changing my shopping paradigm here in the Big Town of Savage in Central Maryland

No comments: