Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ocean City here I come - no bridge traffic for me

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Toll Plaza

Living in the Big Town of Savage (BToS) here in Central Maryland, one of my less than fond memories is of planning an early summer vacation to Rehobeth Beach, DE or Ocean City MD.

It was difficult enough determining what to take along for 3 kids and some food and equipment for a week away from home.  For me it always took care of itself because my wife had the knack of remembering everything and I had the pleasure of getting it all into the back of the ol' Chevy 8-passenger Beauville Van.

The drive to the beach was always enjoyable except for the fear of a backup at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Toll Plaza.  We'd typically time our visit to miss the heaviest traffic periods, but... ...I wasn't successful all the time.  The few times I wasn't successful were a pain.  But most trips we missed the big backups.

This week I found out my daughter and her family are heading to Ocean City for a week.  They'll have to go through all the same things that I had to go through 30 years ago.  However, they have one HUGE ADVANTAGE that I never had.  My daughter and family live on the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay; they DO NOT have to cross the bridge when they travel to the beach.

Ain't that wunnerful... ...kinda makes me envious at times...then I remember that my daughter's husband has to cross the bridge twice each day to make the trip to his weekday job.

JD, staying away from beach traffic.

No comments: