Tuesday, September 22, 2015

AUTUMN -- Testing the Hot Water Baseboard Heat


Bedroom Hot Water Baseboard Heat

I awoke this overcast morning to a comfortably cool, not cold, house with outside temps in upper 50s and temp inside house around 72 and downstairs recroom around 71.  I did all my normal morning stuff consisting of sitting at the ol' desktop computer checking my email, some news sites, bank accounts and a visit to see what's happening with the few folks I know on Facebook.

I headed up for my shower around nine-o'clock and it occurred to me it might be a good morning to test the hot water baseboard heat and my ol' furnace.  I hadn't used it since early spring and always like to have an early test in case there's a problem and I have to call in the H&C maintenance folks.

So I clicked on the downstairs thermostat and set heat to 74; then went upstairs and set heat to 75.  I went back down to the furnace area and heard the furnace firing up and the water circulatory system creaking a bit as the water temp began to get hot.

By the time I'd done my morning personal cleanup activities and showered, the heat had already reached desired temps on both levels of the house, the thermostats clicked off and the furnace was in cool down mode.  House temps felt comfortable and I noticed no problems around any of the baseboard units or furnace.  I deemed the Morning Furnace Test a success and placed the H&C phone number on hold until an emergency arises.

JD, feeling warm and toasty here in the BToS

PS - I had the H&C folks out last year about this time for my heating checkup and the 14 year-old furnace and baseboard system passed with warming colors.  Thing that I ponder occasionally is the baseboard heating and water circulating system and piping.  That system was installed when the house was built in 1968 and still working like a champ.  Here's hoping it keeps up the good work.

PPS - Back a whole bunch of years, Clarke, an ol' buddy of mine, referred to H&C as 'Herkie & Curry'.  He called it that because two of his ol' Savage chums he called Herkie and Curry worked there at the time.

No comments: