Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Red Hot Christmas Blues in Summer

Who listens to Christmas music in July?  I do.  I'm not completely sure when I got into the habit, but I think it was sometime in the late 1990's.  On Sunday mornings, I found it relaxing to have some music playing while I read the huge Sunday edition of the Washington Post with all the ads.  It would take a good album to get me through the whole paper.

Primarily I listened to rock and roll of my youth from the 50s and early 60s and some old, down home country and bluegrass. 

I had also discovered the Red Hot and Blue Memphis Pit Barbeque restaurant over in Laurel.  While there for our office Christmas luncheon, I noticed that Red Hot and Blue was selling their own version of a CD called the "Red Hot Christmas Blues".  The following Sunday morning I put it on while I read the Sunday paper.

I found myself turning up the volume, as it was just some really fine music.  I looked at the date on the CD jacket when I scanned it this morning and it says 1998.  I think that the Red Hot Christmas Blues was the album that got me listening to Christmas music year round. 
I was, and still am, a fan of the Ally McBeal TV show.  They released a Christmas CD too; "Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas" featuring Vonda Shepard and some members of the cast.  Over the years I've managed to keep both albums available and play them when I want some Christmas music to brighten the day.

JD, listening to Red Hot Christmas Blues and Ally Christmas here in the BToS

PS - here are other images from the Red Hot Christmas Blues CD.  Click for larger images.
 



No comments: