Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Postseason Playoffs - NASCAR Doesn't Fit TV's Terminology

The last few months of the 2013 NASCAR season, I've noticed SPEED TV announcers and other TV sports announcers began using the term 'Playoff' in referring to the NASCAR Sprint CUP Chase.  I noticed also they've started referencing the 10-race Chase as the Postseason.  In the few days since SPEED TV converted to FOX Sports 1, the announcers that came over from SPEED TV to FOX Sports 1 have made these two terms basic to their NASCAR Chase discussions.

If you've read my blog in the past, you know that being an old fart, I'm adverse to change, especially change that doesn't fit my paradigm of what the world should be like to make me happy.  I've been a NASCAR fan since I first discovered NASCAR racing as a teenager back in the late '50s.  That was a time that racing attention was focused on the winner of the race and not on a Championship, which paid little money and wasn't really important at the time.

Over the years things have changed significantly, especially with the advent of TV coverage of NASCAR races.  Then early in the 21st century, NASCAR leadership decided they needed a late season competition among the top point earners of the season for the NASCAR championship; thus, the Chase for the CUP (my terminology, not theirs) was born.  The goal was to hype the NASCAR championship and provide a vehicle to boost interest in NASCAR after the NFL began its season.

Since then, all discussion among TV announcers at races is about qualifying for the 'Chase'.  The most exciting racing of the year is typically the last 2-3 races before the Chase to see who's going to qualify for the championship.  As of today, there are 3 races left until the Chase begins with races at Bristol, Atlanta and Richmond.  Once the Chase begins all TV shots of on-track action highlight the 12 Chase participants, even though there are still 43 cars in each NASCAR CUP race.

I guess the real question for me here in the BToS is, can I adapt to TV once again changing terminology used to describe NASCAR racing.  TV will insure it changes to fit their 'SPORTS TV' paradigm and I'll have to live with it as I have no option.

However, I will state my opinion that the NASCAR Chase is not a 'playoff during the postseason'.  After all, the teams that didn't qualify for the Chase don't quit racing and go home for the season like happens in stick and ball sports.  They continue to race for victory lane each race for 10 more weeks.

The difference is that you will only see 'Chase Contestants' featured on TV; ESPN will ignore the other competitors as if they don't exist.

JD, here in the BToS, missing the old SPEED TV channel, following the Chase and cringing while TV sports announcers refer to it as Playoffs and Postseason.

PS - I can also tell you after 3 days of FOX Sports 1 coverage of NASCAR, I don't care much for their hyped up, high speed announcing and short discussions.  The previous Race Hub show was kinda laid back with no rush because they had to fill an hour of TV time.  Now the screen is full of graphics boxes below and to the right and announcers hardly have any time to discuss and reflect on subjects.  I've seen changes come to SPEED channel live shows during the past year knowing things were moving in this direction; less racing coverage and more pizazz.  Life is change and whether I like these changes or not, I'll have to live with it.

PPS - Image above is a SNIP of a Google page after I did a Google Image Search for 'playoffs postseason'.  Notice there is no image of anything to do with NASCAR, nor were there any throughout the multiple pages of search results.

No comments: