Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Thick Soup - Daughter says it's Stoup

Mine resembles this pot

Every once in a while I get the urge to make a pot of beef tomato vegetable soup. My soup tends to end up being a bit on the thick side rather than watery.

My elderly neighbor, who's around 93 now, likes vegetable soup and will occasionally eat a bit of mine when I share with her. Only problem is that neighbor lady is 'old school' and a watery soup kinda gal. Hence; when preparing soup to share with her I try to include more of the 'juice' than would be typical of my normal ladled bowl of soup.

My daughter's family is living here with me while between houses. Saturday afternoon things were kinda quiet and I had the urge for soup. I rooted thru the freezer and found a large portion of fresh chuck roast. My 11 year old grand daughter came into the kitchen and asked what I was doing.

I enlisted her in the soup making process. As I browned the cubed chuck, I had her drag a chair up to the pot so she could see the process and watch my excellent browning technique. I let the browned beef cool while sauteing the onions, celery and carrots and asked her if she'd like a taste of the beef. She's kind of a picky eater, surprisingly, she said it was good.

I had her help while I assembled the rest of the soup ingredients and after it had cooked I let her have a taste of it. She actually said she liked it. I figured that she likely felt vested in that pot of soup since she had helped make it. At least that's my theory and I'm sticking with it.

This batch was typical of my soup and kind of thick. My daughter came into the kitchen and advised me that Rachael Ray's name for thick soup was Stoup, cross between 'stew' and 'soup'. Indeed, Google confirmed her Rachel Ray Stoup story.

By the time Sunday nite came around the stoup had matured after a day in the fridge, so I heated it up and cooked a frozen Kirkland cheese pizza with my 'thick cut' pepperoni slices for dinner. So there you have it, Sunday dinner was stoup and pizza.

JD, eatin' leftover stoup here in the BToS

PS - No way could I share this batch of JD's Stoup with neighbor lady! :-)

No comments: