Monday, August 17, 2009

Stomach Stretch - Eat Too Much - Update 12

'Tis Monday and time for my weekly update on the ol' Stomach Stretch. Here's this week's result.

255 - 18 May
254 - 25 May
251 - 1 June
249 - 8 June
247 - 15 June
246 - 22 June
246 - 29 June
246 - 6 July
243 - 20 July
243 - 27 July
243 - 3 August
242 - 10 August
242 - 17 August

The ol' box turtle is back to looking left after the no change weight result. This week the ol' scale was right on 242, which basically indicates one more week of stability, no loss/no gain.

This being my first quarterly report, we're looking at 13 lbs. While this isn't a lot of weight for a 3 month effort, it is significant and falls within my nebulous long-term goal of constant stability or weight loss, with no gains.

Not to be redundant, but I've pondered the weekly reporting for the last week and decided to continue the process as it provides a catharsis and a stimulus to stick with the plan. So gear up as these may become even more boring in the future, if possible. Based on the visitor stats, only 2 folks read 'em anyway (even my own kids won't). :-)

I made a pot of soup on Thursday, using some left over tomatoes and veggies from the fridge and freezer. Added some smoked sausage cut into small chunks. I also used quite a bit of the ol' 4-bean salad mentioned in a previous post.

I'm the kinda guy that likes to break up saltine crackers in my vegetable soup. Usually, I end up eating mushy soup. Some folks prefer soup to be mostly liquid, I prefer it to be full-bodied, so thick the veggies actually stick out a bit above the level of the liquid once in the bowl.

No real outside influences this week regarding food items, except that I had lunch Friday with two former co-workers that are also retired, altho one is working for a contractor after govt retirement. Was great to catch up with their family stories, and of course to bore them with my stories!

I noticed that this restaurant was another of what seems to me to be chains where I just don't fit their baseline demographic. All sandwiches were chicken or turkey, with the option of bacon on one. Other options were burgers, salads, etc. No wonder I like small, down home restaurants instead of restaurants that fit the main theme chain deal...give me a local joint any day.

Now I like a good burger once in a while, but it ain't my favorite thing to eat at lunch, especially not one that's 8 oz!!! That just doesn't cut it for this old fart. Give me one that's 4-5 oz with some mustard, catsup (ketchup if you prefer), pickle and onion and I'm satisfied. Yes you can also leave the cheese off so I can actually enjoy the flavor of the burger itself!!!

I settled for a grilled bacon, cheese chicken breast sandwich, with lettuce, tomato and mayo and fries. Looked like the plate was full of fries. I only ate about 5 or 6 of them, leaving the other 3/4. As much as I've complained about the menu options, the sandwich was pretty good.

Saturday was a nice change of pace with a visit from all the kids/grandkids, providing an excellent excuse to splurge for some carry-out pizza for lunch. Son-in-law performed the pizza-fetch function and I covered the bill. I personally focused on the thin-crust Hawaiian. Not as good as the Ledo Hawaiian, but adequate. It was an excellent opportunity to catch up on vacation stories and fotos.

Nothing exciting scheduled this week. I may try to add a bit more exercise to the daily regimen and shoot for a slightly lower average daily calorie count.

Do good stuff; have some fun,
JD

PS - Here's an update to the little progress chart that I use as a desktop reminder.
PPS - I changed my weigh-in day this week to Sunday and am writing this on Sunday. I'll hopefully finish it today and schedule it to post Monday morning. Just wanted to be completely honest on all fronts with this weekly report. :-)

No comments: